Nothing says Christmas more than gingerbread boy and girl cookies. It’s a great way to end a meal and put people into the holiday spirit! Let your imagination run wild when decorating them. Merry Christmas!
5 cups flour
1-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2-3 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup solid shortening
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 cup light molasses
2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Combine the first six ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- Cream sugar and shortening in a mixing bowl. Beat in egg, molasses, and vinegar. Stir in dry ingredients mixture a quarter at a time, mixing well after each quarter is added. Cover dough and chill for a minimum of 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Divide dough in half. Flour work surface lightly, and roll half of the dough 1/8” thick. Dip the gingerbread cookie cutters (5×3”) in flour before cutting dough. Place cookie on greased cookie sheet.
- Repeat for second half of dough.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet and place on cooling rack to cool before decorating.