Looking for the perfect cookie recipe to impress your guests? Look no further. These crinkle cookies look professional and taste delicious, too! One thing to keep in mind, crinkle cookies have to be made exactly according to the recipe, adding the ingredients in the order specified, in order to come out perfect. Be sure to follow the directions below to ensure perfect cookies.
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup cocoa
2 teaspoons shortening
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
What’s a morning without coffee? Personally, I’ll drink/eat anything that is coffee flavored but hot coffee, just the smell alone nauseates me, let alone drinking a hot cup of coffee. For a good majority of the population, to even think about going through a day without coffee sounds absurd. Studies show that most people drink about three cups of coffee a day- a cup for breakfast, a cup for lunch, and yet another in the afternoon. Is drinking too much coffee really harmful for our bodies or is it just a myth? Let’s take a closer look at several pros and cons of coffee.
Pro: The caffeine found in coffee gives you the extra boost of energy that you may need to get through the day.
Con: Coffee stains teeth and gives you bad breathe.
Pro: Those who drink coffee with milk on a daily basis, have a smaller likelihood of suffering from depression.
Con: Caffeine can cause heart palpitation, insomnia, anxiety, heartburn and (in women) osteoporosis.
Pro: Coffee acts as a diuretic.
Con: Coffee acts as a diuretic and removes vitamins such as vitamin B1 from the body.
Pro: Coffee is believed to improve your memory since it cleans toxins that are found in the bloodstream.
Con: Coffee slows down the production of anti-aging hormones, allowing your body to age faster.
We live in a disposable world. Simple things that can have many uses (such as orange peels) are tossed without a second thought. In trying to be eco-friendly, we came up with a couple of uses for orange peels:
Orange Peel Candles This is a really cute idea for a casual party – plus, the orange peels give off a great scent!
1. Prepare the amount of oranges you want to use. Slice off the top of the orange and scoop out the orange (the same way you would eat a grapefruit).
2. Fill the entire orange with wax. If you don’t want it to burn for that long, you can fill it halfway with water and then wax. You can purchase wax HERE. Simply follow the directions that come with the wax to melt it down. Alternatively, you stick a candle in the orange but it won’t have the same look.
3. Stick a wick in the wax and light the candle – Voila! You’re all set! The orange peel will give off a sweet orange scent and the best thing is, you can reuse the candle holders. Just fill it up with wax again!
The flames of a fire, in a romantic, poetic setting such as a fireplace, campfire, etc., can be beautiful and relaxing. However, if the right precautions are not taken, fire can be dangerous, disastrous and a person’s worst nightmare. It can turn a person’s world up-side-down within seconds. Here are some safety measures that we can take so that this way we can enjoy the beauty of fire.
1. We all know that candles aren’t safe. The problem is that we don’t realize how unsafe jar candles can be. Jar candles seem to give people a sense of security since they are enclosed. What can happen to a mason-jar candle is that the flame super-heats the glass, which possibly will result in the glass exploding. In this case, melted wax oozes out, along with the metal tab that contains the wick, which can then ignite the surface. When this scenario takes place, and it does, homeowners are always shocked because they thought that the jar offered foolproof protection. In reality, any candle that is three quarters of the way melted poses a risk and should be doused and discarded.
2. It may not be on top of our minds, but fires can start in the laundry room- often because of problems with dryer vents. Lint can and does collect in unexpected places. Your best defense is to check, every now and then, where the dryer vent attaches to the back of the appliance and the wall to make sure that it is securely attached. In the event that you find it to be loose, clean away all the lint from around the surrounding area and tighten the clamp using a screwdriver.
We got an interesting email last week that we’d like to share with our readers. One of our customers ordered a Keurig B30 Mini Personal Single-Serve Brewing System and we shipped it with UPS. Our customer emailed us to let us know that when UPS came to deliver the package, instead of walking up to his front door and ringing the bell, as would be expected from any decent delivery guy, especially one that is delivering a package containing a delicate coffee maker, he tossed the package 15 feet in the air and it landed on the hard cement on the other side of his fence!
Now, to be perfectly honest, UPS is quite fair with their claims process. Had the package been damaged (our customer notified us later that thankfully, it was not) we would have gotten our money back in no time in order to provide him with a new coffee maker. As we have no idea who the driver was, we forwarded the complaint to our UPS account manager for further action. Are we confident that this won’t happen again? Definitely not. Was the driver reprimanded or penalized for the way he treats deliveries? We can’t imagine. So what can be done to ensure this doesn’t happen again? Absolutely nothing.
Unfortunately, UPS drivers are the among the most underpaid, overworked work bracket so we can’t actually blame them. Or can we? Can UPS take responsibility for each of their thousands of drivers across the United States? Who do we blame here?
When water freezes, the density of the water decreases, causing the water to expand. This is why, when water freezes in pipes, it could only mean one thing- trouble. The frozen water in the pipes can cause the pipes to burst, and allows the unfrozen water to get away which can then result in severe property damage. The most common places for pipes to freeze are in attics, crawl spaces and outside walls since there is little to no insulation making it very vulnerable especially if there are cracks. Some tips:
- Every member in your household should know where your main water shut-off valve is located in case of emergency. Do an annual check of the shut-off valves to make sure that it is working as it should be.
- Check to make sure that the water to your outdoor faucets is shut off inside your house via a turnoff valve, and that all the lines are drained before the temperature drops anywhere close to freezing point.
- In the event that a pipe does freezes or burst, shut the water off at once. Never attempt to thaw frozen pipes unless the water is shut off. Very often, the freezing of the pipes causes minor cracks in pipes or joins that can leak once thawed.
- To thaw the pipes apply heat using a blow-dryer, heater or hot water. Never use propane or kerosene heaters or blow torches because of fire hazards. Once the water has thawed, check the pipes for cracks and leaks.
- To prevent pipes from freezing, wrap them with insulation or layers of fabric or newspaper.
Both creamy and smooth, a slice (or two) of cheesecake is undoubtedly the most tasty and graceful way to end any meal. Cheesecake is a self-indulgent, mouth-watering dessert which leaves no room for question on why 99.9% of people have a very hard time refusing a piece of cheesecake- unless on a diet of course!
This cheesecake recipe is by far the tastiest I’ve ever gotten my hands on. You can absolutely trust me on that one since I’ve gotten my hands on quite a few! Try this quick and practically effortless new recipe.
1 package cinnamon, chocolate or honey Graham crackers
3 oz. butter
- Blend the Graham crackers into fine crumbs. Place them in a 9" round pan.
- Cut the butter into small pieces.
- Place in a pre-heated oven for about 10 minutes or until the butter is melted. Keep an eye on those crackers. If they are left in for even a minute too long, they will burn.
- Stir mixture to completely blend crackers with butter.
- Press the crackers down evenly onto the bottom of the 9” pan and a bit up the sides of the pan.
Potatoes make a perfect side dish and are just about a no-brainer. Garlic herb roasted potatoes? Now we’re talking. These garlic herb potatoes make an excellent side dish for any dinner, since it is a classic that goes with just about everything. The difference between good potatoes and great potatoes is the flavor, the crispiness on the outside, and the smoothness on the inside.
Wondering what causes your blood sugar levels to increase or decrease? The answer is pretty simple. The more sugar and carbohydrate found in the food consumed, the higher your blood sugar level will be. Some foods help in lowering the levels while others that enter the bloodstream faster, lend a hand at raising them to what may be dangerously high levels, which can result in health problems, including diabetes. Your body is in charge of regulating the sugar levels but it is a task that the body cannot accomplish without your help.
Vinegar: Choose a vinegar-based dressing for your salad, and the rise in your blood-sugar levels after eating will be 55% lower than usual. The acetic acid in vinegar seems to block the enzymes that break down carbohydrates, decreasing the amount of glucose that can enter your blood cells.
Avocado: Unlike most other fruits, avocados are full of mono-unsaturated fat- the same healthy fat that you find in olive oil. Mono-unsaturated fat leaves no impact on blood sugars making it an excellent choice in a sandwich or salad and it will leave you feeling full. The fat in the avocado will also slow down the digestion of the meal, which makes it easier on your blood sugar level. In addition, avocados contain a variety of nutrients and help your body absorb other nutrients more efficiently.
Biscottis are Italian cookies that are baked twice: the first time, it is baked in the shape of a log and then it is baked a second time as individual slices. Legend has it that they have been around since Christopher Columbus’ times, making the cookies more than 500 years old. Biscottis are dry and could be stored for longer periods of time than the regular cookie. Being that they are nonperishable, they were particularly useful in the olden days for journeys and during wartime.
½ cup oil
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ cup chopped almonds (optional)
½ cup chocolate chips (half black, half white)