Summer’s here! That means hot weather, mosquitoes and of course, barbeques! This terrific tasting grilled chicken and beef satay adds a nice twist to the regular barbeque. Dip it in to the peanut dipping sauce and now we’re talking! Makes a great party main dish or an appetizer!
Originally known as Decoration Day, Memorial Day is now celebrated on the last Monday in May as a day to remember all the U.S. soldiers who have sacrificed their lives for the sake of our country.
In 1868, Decoration Day, was first recognized as a holiday in order to honor those who died during the Civil War. After General James Garfield spoke at the first Decoration Day ceremony in the Arlington National Cemetery, 5,000 volunteers lent a hand in decorating the graves of over 20,000 soldiers buried there by placing flowers and flags over their graves.
Toward the end of the 1800s, numerous communities throughout the United States began celebrating Memorial Day.
In 1966, the federal government declared Waterloo, New York, as the official hometown of Memorial Day due to the fact that this town made Memorial Day an annual commemoration day. Businesses stayed closed for the day and all the locals bedecked the graves of the soldiers with flags and flowers.
When it comes to cheese, I’m obsessed! Cheese filled cannoli- now we’re talking. The smooth, light filling in a shell with a perfect crunch… My mouth is already watering!
20 store bought cannoli shells
3 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoon shortening
4 tablespoons Marsala Wine
If you are busy walking around with a pile of bad credit scores on your shoulders, you are bound to pay much more for credit cards, mortgages and car loans. Some tips on how to turn them around as quick as possible.
- Spread out balances- Your credit score will plunge if you have used over half of your available credit or, even worse, if you’ve maxed out! It would be best to always try and keep it at 50%.
- Pay it down- For the next couple of months, put all your spare cash toward your credit card payments. Paying down the balances can boost you r score up to 70 points, so keep on sanding it down.
- Do not request extra credit- Lenders will be much more nervous to lend you money if they see too many lines of credit since it makes you looks like you are quite money hungry.
- Choose direct deposit- Although most people tend to believe that getting a paper paycheck is safer than getting a direct deposit the opposite holds true. Having your paycheck deposited electronically into your bank account, lowers your risk of forgery and identity theft.
- Check up on credit scores- By not checking up on your credit every so often, you are allowing your credit to wither away. In the event that you come across an incorrect statement on your report, it is urgent for you to get in touch with the creditor to correct it at once.
- Old credits- Unpaid credits, loans or bills can hurt your credit report even if the agencies did not try contacting you to collect their money.
This is a delicious bread that stands well on its own or as an accompaniment to soup. You can also place a spoonful of salad in the center to create an excellent appetizer.
4 2/3 cups flour- packed
2 1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
2 cups luke-warm water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons oil, for brushing
1/4 cup prepared pesto
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, cut into chunks
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Your tongue is the only muscle in your body that is attached at only one end.
- Months that begin on Sunday will always have a Friday the 13th.
- The word queue is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are removed.
- All babies are born color blind.
Sushi is open to an almost never-ending variation. Though many people are intimidated just by the idea of mastering sushi-making in the comfort of their own kitchen, it’s really not that complicated. And given that it’s an awfully popular dish, it certainly deserves a try.
The first and foremost thing to consider when making sushi is the rice. The standard long-grain rice is not sticky enough to use for sushi. You must use a sticky short-grain rice. The most recommended brands to be used for making sushi are Tamanishiki, Nishiki, or Botan. Follow the package instructions and cook up 3 cups of rice. Make sure to rinse the cooked rice in cold water before starting.
While the rice is cooking, prepare the seasoning.
• 1/3 cup wine vinegar
• 3 tablespoons sugar
• 1 teaspoon salt
Combine the 3 ingredients in a saucepan and place it over a medium flame. Stir the mixture to dissolve the sugar. Place the cooked rice into a large bowl. Using a wooden spoon, drizzle 1/4 of the seasoning over the rice. Using a spoon or spatula, gently fold the mixture into the rice. If clumps form, break them up, but be careful not to smash the rice. Add the remaining vinegar mixture, fold and allow the rice to sit for 5 minutes.
For the fish– You can use just about any type of fish. You are able to use it raw, cooked, marinated, fried, or boiled. Half a pound is sufficient for 4 people. Being that the top parts of the fish has the most flesh and is the juiciest, it is best to use for sushi. Simply cut the fish into small pieces.
Although the primary use for toothpaste is for your teeth (duh!), there are many other things that you can actually use it for. In fact, toothpaste is pretty multi-talented. Here are just 5 good reasons why you should always keep a tube of toothpaste on hand.
1. Whether you have just handled pickles, fish or spare change, you detest the sharp smell that refuses to leave even after you have washed your hands with soap and water. In order to get rid of the stench completely, squirt a drop of toothpaste into each palm, lather and rinse thoroughly with warm water. The fluoride that is in the paste will neutralize the strongest scent particles, leaving your hands smelling minty and clean.
2. In the few seconds that you turned your back on your three year old, the little ‘angel’ became more capable than ever. He/she managed to create a literally breathtaking work of art on your dining room wall using crayons! For super-fast cleanup (the guest are expected to arrive any second), apply a small amount of toothpaste, rub it over the crayon marks and wipe it clean.
3. There is nothing more than the classic look of white tennis shoes, but your pair looks a little dingy lately. To get them squeaky clean once more, squeeze some non-gel toothpaste onto a toothbrush (probably one that you won’t use for your teeth again) and scrub the sneakers in a circular motion. Clean off the remainder of the toothpaste using a moist cloth. The toothpaste lends a hand in removing the grunge, whereas the carbonate peroxide whitens the fabric and makes the sneakers look like new.
Although sushi is most frequently associated with Japanese restaurants, it in fact dates back to 17th century China. The Chinese began making sushi in order to preserve fish, way before refrigeration was invented. Both salt and rice were needed to assist in the fermentation process and as a result, sushi got well acquainted with rice. As time went on and the Chinese and Japanese cultures crossed, sushi became an accepted food choice in both countries.
A bamboo mat, nori sheets, sharp knife, chopsticks for serving,
Mother. When you are young, you think the world of her. As a teenager, you think of her as horrifically out-dated, old-fashioned. As adults, you begin to realize that maybe she does know something. And, by the time you truly, fully understand what she is all about, it is too late. Grab hold of the opportunity before it slips through your fingers and thank your mom for all she did, does, and will do for you because without her, you wouldn’t be here.
Some of the Things my Mom Taught Me…
- Logic- "Because I said so, that’s why."
- Foresight- "Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you’re in an accident."
- Irony- "Keep crying and I’ll give you something to cry about."
- Weather- "This room of yours looks as if a hurricane hit it."
- Hypocrisy- "If I told you once, I’ve told you a million times. Stop exaggerating!"
- Behavior Modification- "Stop acting like your father!"
- Envy- "There are millions of less fortunate children in this world who don’t have wonderful parents like you do."
- Medical Science- "If you don’t stop crossing your eyes, they are going to freeze that way."