Acquiring the Necessary Permits to Open Your Restaurant

Acquiring the necessary permits to open your restaurnatOne of the most challenging parts of opening a food service business is obtaining all of the required permits and licenses needed to operate. These requirements are set up to ensure that employees, customers and residents of the area are kept safe and that the business operates properly. There are some permits that will be required regardless of where you live, but some will vary depending on your location and the choices you make for your business. 

Building or Zoning Permit

If you are making renovations or constructing a new building for your restaurant, you may need a building permit. This permit ensures that the construction or modifications comply with building codes and safety regulations.

Business License

A general business license is typically required to legally operate a restaurant. This license is obtained from the local government or municipality and ensures that your restaurant complies with local laws and regulations.

Federal Employer Identification Number

Though this is not a permit, it is a requirement that you must adhere to. Prior to opening your food service business you must contact the IRS and obtain your federal employer identification number. This will help the government identify you as a business for tax purposes.

Food Handler Permit

Most jurisdictions require a food service license, also known as a health permit or food handler's permit. This permit ensures that your restaurant meets health and safety standards related to food handling, storage, and preparation. It often involves inspections by the local health department. Some states like California, require all restaurant workers that deal with unwrapped foods, to have a food handler permit. In most cases, it is best for the restaurant owner and manager to both have food handling permits. 

Liquor License

If you plan to serve any alcoholic beverages at your establishment, you will need a liquor license. The requirements for this license vary based on your location and can be a long and challenging process. You may need a separate license for each type of alcohol you are serving, or you may need a different license depending on the type of establishment you are running. There are many other rules regulating the sale of liquor that vary greatly from state to state and within counties, it is important to get the information you will need from the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau in your location.

Music License

If you plan to provide any copyrighted music, regardless of the method used, you will need a music license. This license is required even if your only music is karaoke. Failure to have one can result in substantial fines. Some exemptions and licensing discounts do apply, so you should contact your local restaurant association to find out.

Waste Management Permit

Depending on the jurisdiction, you may need a waste management permit to properly handle and dispose of food waste, recyclables, and other waste generated by your restaurant. This permit ensures compliance with local environmental regulations.

Occupancy Permit

An occupancy permit, also known as a certificate of occupancy, is required to verify that your restaurant complies with fire safety codes and is safe for occupancy. It is typically issued after an inspection by the local fire department or building department.

It os important to note that this is not an exhaustive list, and the specific permits required may vary based on the location and specific details of your restaurant. It is crucial to research and consult with local authorities, such as the local government offices, health department, and business licensing departments, to determine the exact permits and licenses needed to open your restaurant. Engaging with professionals, such as attorneys or consultants specializing in restaurant regulations, can also provide valuable guidance in navigating the permit application process.

Found this article helpful? Read more relevant articles and how-to's in the food service industry.