Throughout TigerChef.com you'll become familiar with many terms we use to describe products and services. Some of these terms are industry-specific and some are manufacturer-specific. And some TigerChef uses itself. Here's insight to terms used on our site, as well as their definitions.
Where appropriate, terms used on products will be hyperlinked to pop-up windows.
On items where dimensions are posted with initials (H, W, L, D), the following key is used:
- H - Height
- W - Width
- L - Length
- D - Depth
For unit measurements and volume, we use the following abbreviations:
- " - Inches
- ' - Feet
- oz - Ounce
- Qt - Quart
- Gal - Gallon
- L - Liter
- lb - Pound
- doz - Dozen
- case - a full case of items, commonly equal to a specific dozen in quantity
- S/S = Stainless Steel
- Stainless Steel is an iron-carbon alloy mixed with chromium. Not all stainless steel is stain-proof; it still requires care to maintain it's finish, and lower-end series (403) can corrode and rust without proper care.
300 Series Stainless Steel is the most common used stainless steel in the commercial line, and it's construction is noted by composition of chromium and nickel (18/10 is 18% chromium and 10% nickel). Commonly, the higher the number in the series or construction, the more sturdy the component and less prone it is to corrosion and staining.
- AL = Aluminum
- Aluminum is a soft, lightweight, malleable material and it's standard appearance is silvery to dull gray. Many manufacturers may polish it with a finish, and it's resistance to corrosion is an ideal factor. Aluminum is one of the best metals for baking sheets and pie pans because it promotes even heating and better prevents over browning.
- ACM = Aluminum Composite Material
- Aluminum composite materail is used in some serving counter units and other counters and servers. ACM is manufactured as composite sheet metal with high strength and rigidity. It's capable of being re-formed and shaped, which results in a smooth, attactive finish.
- Some cookware has Clad bottoms, which means it's composed of an aluminum alloy material (and sometimes mixed with Stainless Steel). The result is high strength and excellent corrosion resistance.
- Silver Plated
- Silver plated trays and serving dishes contain a thin layer of silver bonded (through an electrical process) to the base metal core. It's less expensive than pure silver, yet still enhances the piece with a silver luster. Silver plated items need care, however, because mis-handling can cause flaking, thus inviting corrosion.
- Heat Treated
- Heat treated glassware is created through a special heating and rapid cooling process after the glass is actually formed. The result is an increased resistance to thermal and mechanical shock.
- NR = Narrow Rim
- Narrow Rim is a term used to describe the outer edge of China and Glass Dinnerware, such as a plate or saucer. A narrow rim is a rim that tapers off thinly, giving the piece a more delicate look.
- RE = Rolled Edge
- Rolled Edge is a term used to describe the outer edge of China and Glass Dinnerware, such as a plate or saucer. In this case, the edge of the peice is "rolled", providing more stability and a stronger look.
- DuraTuff ®
- Libbey uses a special thermal afterprocess for pressed tumblers and stemware. The DuraTuff ® process is performed only on the upper protion of the glass and this increases resistance to thermal and mechanical shock. Plastes and bowls marked with the DuraTuff ® tag are treated over the entire surface of the item.
- Safedge ® Rim
- Libbey's Safedge ® Rim Guarantee provides replacement of a glass if the rim chips. Chipped glasses falling under the guarantee may be returned to TigerChef for replacement (see our return policy for RMA information). The guarantee does not cover breakage or other damage due to misuse or miscare.
- Safedge ® Rim & Foot
- Libbey's Safedge ® Rim and Foot Guarantee provides replacement of a glass if the rim or foot chips. Chipped glasses falling under the guarantee may be returned to TigerChef for replacement (see our return policy for RMA information). The guarantee does not cover breakage or other damage due to misuse or miscare.
- Finedge ®
- Libbey's Finedge ® glassware features a minimum bead and is available on various tumblers and stemware. The finely rimmed glassware brings subtle beauty to the table.
- Sheer Rim D.T.E. ®
- Libbey's SheerRim/D.T.E. ® (Dura Temp Edge) tumblers and stemware feature a beadless edge which is first cracked off the glass, then polished. The result is a fine, durable edge. All SheerRim/D.T.E. ® is guaranteed against chippage of the rim (save for breakage due to misuse or abuse).