Matt Kalil is a former NFL offensive tackle. Like most football lineman, Kalil is a big guy and he keeps up his physique by consuming 5,000-6,000 calories per day. To ensure he gets enough calories and protein, Kalil “indulges” in three protein shakes daily, each containing 60 grams of protein.
Kalil may be an extreme example, but he isn’t the only athlete pounding the protein. The protein supplement market size is around nine billion dollars annually, and is expected to grow to nearly 30 billion over the next decade.
Last month’s blog focused on natural functional foods, like mushrooms for memory, caffeine for alertness, and whole grains for heart health. In this blog, we will explore the other side of the functional market, including supplementation, fortified foods, and ingredients that are nutritionally enhanced.
Functional foods are an extremely popular culinary trend, netting nearly $100 billion in annual revenue in 2021, and projected to reach nearly $140 billion by 2026. But what can those in the food industry do to leverage this trend and serve up food that is both tasty and also “functional.”
In part one, we’ll define functional foods and look at ways to incorporate functional ingredients into dishes and menus.
We can all relate to the feeling of biting into a lush, juicy watermelon on a hot summer day. It’s sweet and instantly refreshing. The reason watermelon is so good at quenching your thirst is because, as the name suggests, watermelon is composed of 92% water. The other 8% is sweet fructose and healthy nutrients. It’s no wonder that this larger-than-life fruit causes us to bring up memories of summer, picnics, parties, and vacation. Watermelon is basically a symbol of summer. But, watermelon isn’t the only sweet treat that ripens just as the days grow long and the kids get out of school. There are a number of lesser-known mouth-watering melon varieties to add to your summer menus, and so many ways to prepare melons beyond just slicing and serving.
ChatGPT is everywhere. Advertisers, web designers, coders, businessmen, writers, and artists are incorporating innovative generative AI technology to help them work smarter and more efficiently. Will ChatGPT overtake the food industry as well? I wanted to find out, so I asked the AI itself. The following response is ChatGPT’s unedited answer:
It’s a flavor. It’s a drink. It’s a superfood. Matcha powder is a little bit of all three. It’s trendy, healthy, and tasty and has taken the culinary world by storm. This green tea powder features in teas, desserts, smoothies, lattes, and much more. Where does matcha come from and why is it so popular? And how can those in the restaurant business incorporate matcha into their menus.
Too tired to go out? Not interested in splurging on takeout? Why not reach for your Blue Apron subscription box that comes right to your doorstep and cook your own Korean-style tofu brown rice bowl with kimchi and marinated carrots, using the ingredients and recipe inside. Blue Apron, a service that delivers ready-to-cook dinners to subscribers, is a popular player in the rapidly expanding field of food subscription and delivery boxes — a field that includes everything from monthly gourmet baby food shipments, to a box loaded with a variety of pickles, and everything in between.
Imagine the weirdest food combination you can, the strangest cake decoration scheme, or the oddest cooking method, and chances are there’s already a restaurant out there profiting from this oddity. Many chefs are naturally creative, and chaos cooking, an exciting, new culinary trend, gives these cooks a chance to express the full spectrum of their imagination.
2022 was a milestone year for mankind. By November 2022 the United Nations estimated the global population had reached an astounding eight billion. With more people on Earth than ever before in history, ensuring equitable global access to resources, food, water, and housing has become more important than ever before.
New Year — New you. As the world prepares to ring in 2023, the food community predicts that the upcoming year will be loaded with more sustainable, healthier, and more wholesome foods. That’s good news for those who crafted New Year’s resolutions related to eating healthier, and reducing their carbon footprints.